Monday, September 17, 2012

Fast and Dusty Sugar Maple

September 16, 2012
We made the trip to the eight round at Sugar Maple, WI.  This is only the second time they have put on a hare scramble event at their facility. This was my first time racing here so we left early so I could get a chance to walk the course the day before and see what was in store for us on Sunday. The course was pretty fast and wide open; their moto track is pretty long and it goes in and out of a valley. We would start on the track and go on and off it two separate times and the last would bring us into the woods more and across the road to some more technical trail they added for this year as I was told. It also looked like the dust could play a role in Sundays race. Well, Sunday rolled around and looked like it was going to be a great day for racing. I didn't get the best start but by the second turn I was in third place. We left the moto track and entered one of the corn mazes (yes corn mazes). They chopped a row out of the cornfields and made three different sections through it. We came back to the moto track and I was able to get past Bobby at the bottom of one of the valleys before we went back into the woods. I had my sights set on Matt. I caught up to him and was following him through the more technical portion of the race across the road when he blew a corner coming out of the corn and we drag raced to the next corner. I was able to sneak in front of him and try and put a little distance on him; he had to deal with the dust that he was leaving for all of us. I was able to put a little cushion on him and then I just tried to ride my own race and not make any big mistakes. The course was pretty fast and a slight mistake could end in a big crash at the speeds we were going. I put my head down and was able to get a good lead. By the end of the day I was the only rider to get sent out on another lap so I just rode smart and brought the Husky in for the win. I would like to thank everyone that has helped me this year from all my sponsors to my friends and especially my Dad, Mom, Wife and the little guy. THANKS!!


Remember keep it between the trees!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment