Monday, May 12, 2014

District 16 Opener

April 27, 2014

Everyone was excited to get the District 16 Harescramble season started and chomping at the bit to ride their dirtbikes on dirt not snow.

Mother Nature did not want to cooperate on race day. The skies were filled with black clouds and the temps were cold. The day brought on and off showers that were not needed. The ground at Adams is all sand but there are some low spots that suffered from the rain. Our class was lucky enough that the rain subsided for the start of the race. When the gun went off all the bikes fired in the AA row except mine. I got a horrible start and was almost last into the first corner. I was able to pass a couple of riders right away once we got into the woods and that put me in fifth place. I followed Eric and Dillon for a while longer and made a pass on both of them in a corner and began to real in Ryan and Shane. The three of us started to pull away from the rest of the field just as the skies opened back up and the rain came down. It didn't last that long but it did make the course slippery. Halfway around the first lap I was able to get into the lead. I was comfortable with second place right on my heels because I wasn't getting roosted every corner and had clear vision for the most part. On lap three I was able to start slowly pulling away from second place and I was feeling more comfortable to start charging. That was short lived because when I came through scoring, popped out of the woods, and got on the gas hard it seemed as if my clutch was slipping. Come to find out it was smoked. Some were along the way my banjo bolt on my oil line either got hit by a branch or something and cracked it loose. The vibrations backed it out a little bit and caused most of my oil to be pumped out on the bike and ground. Unfortunately, this ended my day with only two and half laps to go. Luckily the clutch went and my motor was not destroyed because I stopped in time. I was really disappointed and mad since this was only my second mechanical problem causing me not to finish a race since I started racing. Not the way I wanted to start the season, but I am just going to have to take it race by race to get myself out of the point’s deficit that I am in.

I would like to thank all my sponsors for all their help and thank my family for everything that they do to make it possible to be able to ride my dirtbike every weekend. I would also like to thank Steve Roof from Keytime Motorsports for all the help he provided me to get my bike back up and running. 

Remember keep it between the Trees!!!


 

Additional photos from the race taken by Brain Mullane: http://brianmullane.smugmug.com/Motorcycles

A little family fun at the races!
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment