Monday, August 19, 2013

The Dusty Stone Lake

August 18, 2013
The Start



We made it back for our final race (round 8 of the series) at Sumit Lake Game Farm in Stone Lake, WI. Mother nature wasn't to cooperative for the course because they were in need of rain badly. It was going to be a really dusty race Sunday. Saturday I mountained biked the course as usual. It is a good light work out and just time for me to clear my head and see what the course has instore for us. Sunday rolled around and we were ready to come out swinging. I felt good and was ready to put in a good ride and see where I would finish. The AA class had some good competition and was sure to be a fight to the checkers. We have been working on the starting of the bike and it paid off because I actually left with everyone when the gun fired. I didn't get a great jump but I wasn't dead last like a couple of the races and since it was going to be dusty I needed a good start. I was in third after the first couple of corners and held that position off the moto track.  When we left the track it was blindingly dusty. You couldn't see anything and had to tip toe down the twotrack roads until we hit the woods where it wasn't as dusty. I got into second fairly quick and was catching Dylan in the woods when we hit another road and he dusted me out. I had to let off a little so I could see and that was enough for him to get a gap on me again. It was going to come down to mistakes to get around some one. Unfortunately I made a little mistake and clipped a tree and it knocked me down. As I was just getting up and going Nate blazed a trail through the woods and made the pass on me and of course just dusted me out. It didn't help things out either that we were just starting to catch lappers so I had his dust and others to contend with. I decided to play it safe and try to ride hard but not over my head and finish the race without a big crash. I ended the day in third. Should have been at least second but that is where those little mistakes can turn into big mistakes in a hurry. I am going to put my head down and work on a few things to improve so I can get on the top step again. I would like to thank all my sponsors for everything they do and my family for being there week in and week out. Without all of you it would be hard to do what I love. Thanks Again!!

Remember to keep it between the trees!!

No comments:

Post a Comment